Saturday, February 9, 2008

Celebrating Chinese New Year




One of the things I love about working at a secular private school is that 1. I don't have to worry about teaching to a test and 2. I get to introduce my kids to a variety of cultural experiences.

Chinese New Year is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate. And every year the students really get into it. The little dragons are my preschool class. Aren't they the cutest little dragons ever? We had a lot of fun having a parade playing drums and saying Gung Hay Fat Choy...which sadly is the extent of my Chinese.

The other two are my kindergarten class who had a two day celebration (in China it's 15 days so I didn't think 2 days was too much :) ) The first day was more scholastic based...making a mini book and learning about the celebration. Day two was pure celebration. We had a chopstick race, where they had to move counters from one bowl to another, made the dragon (picture 3), made their own dragon masks like the preschoolers, and had a Chinese feast (rice, tea, mandarin oranges, ramen noodles and fortune cookies. I am really proud of the kids they tasted everything and most of them discovered they really liked it, especially the noodles and oranges :)

Every year I made a dragon dancer and every year after the parade the kids play with the dragon for almost an hour. Proving once again that handmade things go a lot farther than technology with kids. And what is better than kids playing and laughing outside? Nothing :)

No comments: